August 30, 2006

Do it again, Daddy!

Yesterday as I was waking up, I peeked my eyes open and the first thing to greet me was the morning outside. My bedroom faces east and I leave my shade open a crack at the bottom just for mornings such as these. I opened my eyes all the way and reveled in the beauty just outside my window.

The sky was a clear, bracing blue marred only by sparse wispy white clouds. Poking up just far enough to be part of the scene, was the aspen tree with shimmering, dancing leaves, reflecting the fresh sunshine. The beauty of the morning was consuming; I could hardly drink it in enough to be adequate. From the recesses of my mind, fighting the morning cobwebs, came forth the first thoughts upon awaking: The heavens declare the glory of God.....

What a way to wake up! From the glory of God being declared and trumpeted by such a morning - in the heavens - visible to all, to my first thoughts in recognition of such an assertion. I note that I had no power within myself to concede such thoughts.

As I continued to just lie in bed, marveling at the morning display, I flung my hand over to the side of my bed where my Bible sat. Hoisting it over to myself (why are Bibles so heavy in the morning??), I flipped it open to Psalm 19.

The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.
In them he has set a tent for the sun, which comes out like a bridegroom leaving his chamber, and, like a strong man, runs its course with joy. Its rising is from the end of the heavens, and its circuit to the end of them, and there is nothing hidden from its heat.
The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether.
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

These were just parts of the chapter that I was specifically meditating on yesterday.

I regretted the time that I had to spend in rushing around, getting ready for work. Also, it's a dangerous thing to be amazed at the handiwork of God while driving...

Last night, after a very encouraging and wonderful time with some of the small group gals, Jen2 and I were talking (late into the night). A full range of topics were covered in our discussion, including child-like faith. Unreserved dependence and unabashed confidence in God. Last night, I went to sleep, asking for child-like faith and asking that I might wake up to full appreciation and thankfulness to my God for His mercy.

This morning, after hitting the snooze button a couple times and resetting my phone alarm (I can reset that thing without ever opening my eyes. I know, scary thought), I finally cracked my eyes open. I looked out to the sky, visible from my window. It was overcast, gloomy, foggy and gray. Clouds had just settled over the earth and were setting up camp. It wasn't exactly the beginnings of a gloriously bright and beautiful day. But I smiled to myself as the latter half of Nahum 1:3 was sparked to memory.

His way is in whirlwind and storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.

Ha! Ha! He did it again! God not only awakened me a believer this morning, but let the first thoughts form in my mind to settle on His greatness. May I cling to this gratefulness like a small child - awed at the simple pleasure of being my Father's.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer,

Nice post. We should be thankful to God for each new day. The universe does show forth His handiwork, we should rejoice and be glad in it!

8/30/2006 12:48 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Thanks for your comment, David! Perfect encouragement.

8/30/2006 3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yen,
Thank you for the reminder to constantly look around us to see the beauty of His creation. Too often we get caught up in our 'busy' and 'important' lives and forget to take a moment to soak in all that He has created and give Him the praise that He is due for it.

"Praise the Lord! I will give thanks to the Lord with all my heart, in the company of the upright and in the assembly. Great are the works of the Lord; they are studied by all who delight in them. Splendid and majestic is His work, and His righteousness endures forever." - Psalm 111:1-3

8/30/2006 3:36 PM  
Blogger Frank Martens said...

Man, talk about hitting the nail on the head.

It's so nice to be able to wake up in the morning and the first thought(s) on your mind have to do with God and His creation.

This goes to show what happens when we are constantly filling our minds with the things of God. As MacArthur says, "I can't imagine why anyone would want to fill their minds with anything this world offers."

8/30/2006 3:38 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Thanks dudes!

Ben - good verse. Frank - nice quote; I like it! Ahh, Jonny Mac... So true. Or as my mom put it when I was little: "Input, output. What goes in is what comes out."

8/30/2006 4:34 PM  
Blogger Aspiring Girl said...

hey how ya doin? thinking about you!! God bless!!

8/30/2006 7:44 PM  
Blogger Jen2 said...

Hey Friend~
It's soo helpful to think about this stuff...as in, the glory of God in creation.

Can I get a fainting couch !!! :)
Gotta love the thoughts of Adam and Eve when the earth was new...........every morning Adam wakes up to the beautiful sunshine or clouds that water the earth......and he gets all loud and excited and pushes Eve saying "Wake up - wake up !! HE DID IT AGAIN - look !! LOOK !!"

Don't you just love to be the child of the creator of the universe? whew...

9/01/2006 1:16 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Hahaha - Oats, I'm so glad you commented that...I was hoping... !!! Reminiscent of our wonderful chat...mmmmm, yes!

9/01/2006 2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home