August 18, 2006

Beauty?

Here at work, we never seem to tire of talking about hair, hairstyles, or anything pertaining to such. (I work with mostly women, in case you were curious.) Today was no different. We have a woman in our department, we'll call her Ronia, who will be going to have her hair cut tomorrow - she's nervous about it. As she was standing in my cubicle, leaning against my file drawers, we were talking about her upcoming appointment and how she might like it styled.

Only briefly into this discussion, she stated disdainfully, "I'm going to tell him to cut it no shorter than my jaw line - I don't want it short like yours! I don't want to look like a boy! ...I want to be a woman." She scrunched up her nose and snickered like she had just said something quite clever. I forced a tight smile. After replaying this a few times in my head, I cannot - for the life of me - ascertain whether she deliberately insulted me to my face or if the remark was said in sheer ignorance of the implication.

This is not the first time I've had a "'boy' quip" aimed in my general direction. And from as many times as I can remember, they're only generated in reference to the way I keep my hair. And the funniest thing - despite having heard nearly every variation of insult, it never ceases to be very hurtful.

All I can do is sigh dramatically and jab my finger in the direction of Proverbs 31:30 - I don't know what version I memorized, but it says beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

But far sweeter than even that for which my response is utmost thankfulness, is the fact that when God looks on me, all He sees is the beauty of Christ. He does not see the ugliness of my sinful heart which is far more repulsive than any "male-like veneer" I may or may not possess. No; for having been covered by the precious blood of Jesus, I have escaped the wrath of God I'd earned.

And while I was thinking about death yesterday, this was the passage on which my thoughts were dwelling. I think it's even greater in light of the events of today.

1 Corinthians 15:42-49

So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable. It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power. It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. Thus it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit. But it is not the spiritual that is first but the natural, and then the spiritual. The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven. As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven.

6 Comments:

Blogger Frank Martens said...

This is so true... and it happens all the time. However, remember Matthew 5:11... "Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account."

These little things about how we look is nothing compared to suffering for Christ (blessing wise) :).

Oh that Christ would be our all emcompassing JOY and source of trials and blessings!

8/18/2006 7:32 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

For what it's worth, my dear, I told Ben about this and he says that you are one of the most feminine-looking girls he knows. A direct quote: "Short hair doesn't make you look like a man."

But beyond that, it is good to hear that you recognize that "charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."

8/19/2006 11:58 AM  
Blogger Frank Martens said...

If it's one song that's hard for me not to think about, it's Be Thou My Vision (as if you couldn't tell already). Anyway, I was thinking about the song on my way home for various reasons, and a particular section stood out to me that I think might be encouraging :)

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul's Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.


Have a great one!

8/20/2006 4:41 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Ahh, thanks Frank! Quite encouraging and very true. (Shocking - that song was stuck in your head?? :) ...you know we just sang it last night at small group! Such a good song!!)

8/21/2006 10:28 AM  
Blogger Jen2 said...

I would agree with Heidi (and Ben)
And I should have told you sooner......

I've seen your heart for others and your submission to the needs of your family and friends (including listening to a ranting friend late into the night to show that you care, though you were obviously tired.)

You have a godly feminity about you sister. Your physical beauty only compliments your reverence of the Lord, it becomes you.
Whatever you hope in is your true and appropriate value. Keep hoping in the invaluable and infinite God. :)

And Cross movement said it best
"Get fly inside and out"

I love you friend ~
Jen2

8/21/2006 1:55 PM  
Blogger Aspiring Girl said...

Jen, Jen, Jen...
You should have seen my long bangs-short spikey do in the back look. I've seen a picture of your hair and it's cute. Now, since I live in the superficial-vacum-of-all-time ORANGE COUNTY, I can tell you that the woman who said that to you doesn't know what's stylish. :-)
I love short hair.
Setting that aside, beauty is fleeting. Unfortunately people can be so wrapped up in themselves that others may be hurt by their rude comments or self-focused views. Yesterday a roomate made a comment about my curtains in my dorm: "those curtains HAVE to go" and then laughed at them. I'm thinking, "ok that's fine i'm not offended" but that sort of attitude and flippant use of inward thoughts will gain you more enemies than friends. I'm sure proverbs has alot to say about "those who speak their minds are fools, but a wise man holds it in".
anyways be of good cheer- God is on your side and the fear of the Lord is to be praised. :-)
Much love girl.

8/22/2006 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home