August 28, 2006

Fare thee well, Ol' Rusty

A lone, emo tear runs down my face as I contemplate what I just did.

I just returned Ol' Rusty, my surfboard of one? two? years. Actually, it was an old school longboard. About twice my size, wooden core, the back of the fin went straight down (instead of having any curvature), old faded coloring, and it desperately needed a new waxing. But I loved it.

I would stick it in my pool and as I was teaching myself how to surf. Yes, that's right. Here in landlocked Minnesota. No, I'm not kidding. Much of surfing is learning balance and building up arm strength for paddling - and you don't need waves to learn either of those. Plus, Minnesotans are known as the most hardcore surfers of the world! Don't think you can surf in good ol' M-N? Think again.

It's a little place I lovingly call "Lake Superior." It's true that few surfers venture up there to surf, but they can be found! It's actually a prime place for wave-hunting. Swells can reach up to 13 feet (and this is on a lake!). However, the reason for the minimal number of these surfers, is that the season for surfing in said body of water is October through March.

Yikes.

Hot cocoa, anyone? The water temperature can reach as low as -12 degrees. I have a friend (who's actually been in Surfer magazine) who is one of the elite Superior surfers. He's regaled me with tales of water so cold that your face feels like it's going to fall off, and of getting out of the water cased in ice - the board, their faces, their wetsuits. Crazy.


Anyway, all that to say, I will miss the bragging rights of one of the few Minnesotans to own a longboard...

7 Comments:

Blogger Frank Martens said...

Bummer! No more board :(

Maybe God's grace will shine and provide another one :)

And I had no clue Superior had waves that big. Talk about big need for dry suits. I remember jumping in somewhere around end of July during a summer trip up there. Man was that cold, I can't even imagine what it would be like during winter.

8/28/2006 6:57 PM  
Blogger Frank Martens said...

And sadly... I lived in MN for 17 yrs :(

8/28/2006 6:57 PM  
Blogger Aspiring Girl said...

DUDE
THIS IS A NATURE CALL TO COME TO CA!!! You seriously need to make a trip out to see me and do the "true" CA surfing!
and I think you are awesome surfing in the pool.

8/29/2006 5:18 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

DUDE
I AM SO THERE!!! I knew God was telling me something with this turn of events....

8/30/2006 9:08 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Ooh, ooh!

Did you know I used to be OBSESSED with surfing? Unfortunately I haven't ever owned a board or tried it, but remind me to loan you my surfing book sometime. It's called "Surf Riders: In Search of the Perfect Wave." Very cool.

Also, if you're thinking about a trip to CA, I think we should make it a group trip...we can see Joanna AND you can meet Ingrid all at once!

8/30/2006 7:19 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Really, Heidi?? That's so funny! Yeah, I was seriously into surfing!! Ever seen Endless Summer? One of the funniest documentaries I've ever seen. I'm excited to see your book...

Road trip! :)

8/31/2006 2:24 AM  
Blogger The Armchair Geek said...

Okay. I'm officially in love. You have to come out here and we've gotta hit Malibu or Oxnard and grab some good waves! No kidding! That would be bedwettingly awesome

11/13/2006 2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home