November 20, 2006

Pertinent thoughts for today

These thoughts were just what I needed to hear today.

Os Guinness writes in his book, God in the Dark, "To believe in God is to 'let God be God'...In trusting God, we are living out our assumptions, putting them into practice all that we say he is in theory so that who God is and what he has done can make the difference in every part of our lives...This means that the accuracy of our pictures of God is not tested by our orthodoxy or our testimonies but by the truths we count on in real life. It is demonstrated when the heat is on, the chips are down, and reality seems to be breathing down our necks." (page 61)

Isaiah 30:20-21
And though the Lord give you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, yet your Teacher will not hide himself anymore, but your eyes shall see your Teacher. And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left.

It is from the Lord that the bread of adversity and the water of affliction are given. And yet, God reveals Himself in the allocation of these. He is made known to the partakers of these bitter victuals. While I gnaw on this stale, tough adversity-bread and wash it down with my pungent affliction-water, I find myself desperately pouring over the Word, aggressively seeking - while resting in the promise - that my eyes might see my Teacher.

1 Comments:

Blogger Craver Vii said...

Wow, JD Hatfield talked about affliction today, too. When I hear this "in stereo," it makes me nervous.

11/30/2006 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home