October 11, 2006

First Snow of the Year

IT WAS SNOWING TODAY!!

Who saw the blizzardy snow this afternoon? It was thrashing white out there! When I finally realized it was snowing outside - and just how hard it was falling, I had an 8.5 reaction on the Richter Scale in terms of what some might call a "giggly moment." Which of course was more than slightly awkward seeing as how I am here among the prairie dogs of Corporate America. They just don't understand. (How emo was that?)


Actually, I'm still kind of reeling. When one gets that high of an adrenaline rush, it doesn't hastily fade.

I hustled to the window and accidentally smacked my forehead against the glass in my exhileration. (Should I be embarrassed about admitting that?) Then I rushed back to Tracy standing at the file shelves who, upon seeing me approach her with little decorum or restraint in my enthusiasm - fearing I might just tackle her, exclaimed in jest, "Don't touch me! Get away from me, Jen!"

Tracy and I often tease each other regarding our tastes in seasons - one in abhorrence of summer heat/humidity (me), and the other in repugnance of winter chill/precipitation...which just happens to be snow here (Trace).

Today she said to me, "I'm happy for you, but I'm sad for me." (I win...I usually do about this time of year.)



And in honor of my family's tradition - on the first snow of the year, tonight we will build a cozy fire, and all set in to watch White Christmas (with Danny Kaye and Bing Crosby). We've done this every year since as long as I can remember.

"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas, just like the ones I used to know..."
(Fun thing is - I know that song in Swedish too!)


It is very exciting to see it snow just knowing that snowboarding season is just around the bend. More over, I love the first snow that stays on the ground and accumulates and turns my city into a breathtaking winter wonderland.

Though far and above those thoughts is this: that every single snowflake is matchless. The creativity of our God is positively astounding. And to think that I was capable of finding delight in the flurry of snow this afternoon because 2000 years ago Jesus the King humbled himself, came to earth, and died on the cross - for my sin in my place before the righteously wrathful Father, and then rose again - victorious over death. Because of this, snow seems so much sweeter.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My only regret, in the midst of this wonderfully blizzardly day, is that I did not get to witness this alleged giggly moment in person.

10/11/2006 6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me Three.

No snow yet. I'm crossing my fingers, but I think it'll be weird being in California in winter. SUPER weird. Can you send me a care package of snow?

10/11/2006 7:34 PM  
Blogger Frank Martens said...

Don't forget shoveling snow, that's a much anticipated part of winter (ppplleeeaaassee note the sarcasm in that).

I'm in full agreement with Micah. Especially the head banging (pun intended).

10/11/2006 8:25 PM  
Blogger Craver Vii said...

This morning, I was leading devotions for my department. I had my back to the conference room windows, and all of the sudden, my coworkers started fidgeting, like they eagerly wanted to interject something. It was snowing!!
We are in the Chicago area. I'm with you...bring on the snow! I love it!

As for me Frank, I prefer shoveling snow over lawncare. It's a long story.

10/12/2006 10:25 AM  
Blogger Aspiring Girl said...

You are are a bunch of lucky hooligans. The only sign that it's "winter" here in L.A. is a slight change in rain and perhaps a 10 degree drop on our thermameters. *sigh* a certain place of vaction comes to mind....MAMMOTH MOUNTAIN!!!! HECK YAAAA WOOOO YAH whatcha got now?? yah that's what I thought!!! I LIVE near MOUNTAINS!!! AND RESORTS!!! HAAA!! ok i'm done bragging and actually feel worse than i did before...
jen, can't wait to see you tomorrow morning chica.

10/12/2006 11:43 AM  
Blogger Frank Martens said...

Living close to them do you no good if you never go enjoy them :)

10/12/2006 3:10 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Hey Craver - welcome aboard. I think I'd have to agree with you on that account. Shoveling can be fun...and I usually do it at night, which is a bonus. The snow's all sparkly from the moon and the night is crisp and everything is quiet. Yeah, it's pretty much perfect.

Armchair - expect a package in the mail as soon as we have an accumulation up here. AWW SHIBBIE...I can't believe it! I just used it for real...

Joey - I think I'm probably going to hug you as soon as I see you tomorrow morning - bright and early, then smack you on the forehead for rubbing that in like that... MAMMOTH?? Dude...dude...

10/12/2006 4:49 PM  
Blogger Frank Martens said...

Dude.

10/12/2006 6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent Execution of the Shibbie. Good form lass.

It's more than 10 degree drop down here...no wait. I'm in celsius, so it's been around a 10 degree drop. So Joanna is correct!

Shovelling snow is a definite pleasure, but more because I usually get the chance to douse someone with a big shovel-full of snow and pretend that I was 'attempting' to clear it off the driveway and ended up nailing them because they were "in the way! Sheesh!"

How much China white do you get in Minneapolis at any given time? 1-2 feet or more? I've never been there in the winter, so curiosity reigns!

10/13/2006 2:42 AM  
Blogger Craver Vii said...

Hey guys, what’s “Shibbie?” Is that like Shibboleth?

Supposedly, Buffalo, NY got up to 2 feet of snow yesterday. (Whoa, too much of a good thing.)

If you guys are ever in the Chicago area in the winter, you’re invited to join me and my family tobogganing and snowball fighting in the park followed by hot chocolate as we thaw around my fireplace. It’s great fun!

Hey Joey, coffee? Naw, nevermind. (You crack me up.)

Shibboleth! Fun word.

10/13/2006 11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man. I'll leave that one up to you Jen. I will admit that I hopped on here before class today and had to explain to everyone around me what I was laughing about though.

10/13/2006 11:48 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Shibboleth?? That was hilarious! I will certainly never read that passage the same again... Classic.

"Shibbie" is an expression; one commonly found on the grounds of a college in Canada (of which I just blanked on the spelling of the name...but it starts with a B). Yeah, it's one of the sweeter words -- it covers a lot of ground. Just throw it out there and try it on for size; I guarantee you'll like it.

Tobogganing?? Snowball fighting?? Fireplace?? In Chicago?? Sa-weet! (Did you know that in Texas, people think that 'toboggan' is a hat?! Pfft. Everyone knows it's really a long flat sled!) :)

10/16/2006 11:02 AM  
Blogger Aspiring Girl said...

lol. i love you. :-P i had so much fun with you this weekend...and i can't wait to see you again. :-)

10/16/2006 5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home