October 10, 2006

Submission

Eagerly awaiting to someday experience the joys of marriage, I occasionally find myself thinking fondly on the delight I imagine it will be submitting to my husband.

A juncture that transpired within this last week prompted closer examination of these aspiring thoughts--more specifically, noting the direct connection between submission to my parental units now and submission to my husband in the future. Taken from the book Her Hand in Marriage by Doug Wilson is a quote that was brought to mind.

We sometimes assume that as girls grow up they are to be treated in the same fashion as sons. This is false--in scripture, sons leave home, daughters are given. This is the scriptural pattern. A son leaves in order to take a wife, and establish a new home. A daughter is given to a young man who is establishing such a home. The idea that a girl can get to the age of 18 or 19, and leave her father's house in order to be out on her own is not scriptural. She remains under the authority of her father--even if she is physically away from home--and then when she is given in marriage, she comes under the authority of her husband. This is the normal scriptural pattern. (p. 21)


Having not yet been "given in marriage," my role right now is submitting to my parents, as I am still under their authority, as well as under the command of 'honor your father and your mother.' Realizing the distinct correlation between my submitting in my father's house and later in my husband's house, I perceived a general lacking in the execution of the former. When directed to do something (or to not do something), often my heart attitude is to feel wronged and stifled. Yet with the head knowledge of the parental honoring commandment, I would "submit," resentful, and simply acquiesce to their instruction.

When I was startlingly convicted of this last week, I reluctantly looked at my heart and attitude that I've developed towards many of my parents' instructions. Yielding acrimoniously is not submission. Done in a wrongful attitude of bitter indignation, the act of assent should not be thought of as an act of submission, but rather as a self-righteous move of compliance, as if in order to "fulfill the Law."

(I'm defining "comply" as an action of following orders simply for the reasoning that it is required obedience -- done with anger, distinctly separate or opposing desires from those that are instructing, eagerness for "liberation" from strict dictation, &c.)

Now, it is not my intention to split hairs or to get wrapped up in the semantics of the English language, but rather to address the heart of the issue...which would be the heart.

I think a true, though probably not entirely comprehensive, definition of submission would be that done "as to the Lord" (that's a tough one to figure out, huh?), respectful and pure motives, actions done with a gentle and quiet spirit, devoid of grumbling, and done with joyfulness and gladness of heart!

Also, directly opposing the prideful attitude of "fulfilling the Law" with the outward motions of compliance, would be an attitude of humility, knowing that submission is not a humanly possible act to manufacture, yet one required of us. It is one done only out of a lowly spirit, dependant on the grace of God through the Holy Spirit, possible because of Jesus' substitutionary, atoning work on the cross. (What? The Gospel's applicable in this too? Nooo...)


These thoughts, this whole concept really shouldn't be so noteworthy as to provoke me to write about it as if I'm newly discovering something, because it seems to me so basic a lesson to the core of (feminine) Christian living that it's almost disturbing that I haven't long ago mastered the art. And yet, it's something I am surely in need of further learning and living out day-to-day.

Ahh, let the abiding work of sanctification continue, Lord...

8 Comments:

Blogger Aspiring Girl said...

this post makes me homesick for my dad... :-(

10/11/2006 2:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...If I wasn't a Christian and read this post, I'd think you are NUTS. You don't hear too many ladies talk like that, what with the submission and all. (Well, at BBC and GCC you hear women talk like that, but not a whole lot of other places)

But yeah, I appreciate the reflections of a woman who seeks to honor the commands of the Lord in submitting to the ole' folks. That's a tough one, especially in this "don't tell me what to do!" culture. More power to ya!

10/11/2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Ha, that's perfect. Thanks Armchair ~

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." 2 Corinthians 12:9 (emphasis mine)

And you're right; nutty thoughts by the world's standards ~ what a blessing it is to be surrounded in such a church where so many of the women are Biblically focused in this regard!

Aww, Joey. Just that comment makes me homesick for my dad, and he's only 20 minutes away...

10/11/2006 11:29 AM  
Blogger 4given said...

well written.

10/11/2006 8:00 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Thank you Lisa - an honor to have you says as much! I have so enjoyed reading your blog, and now that you've found me, I may have to stop "lurking" over there... ;)

And thanks Hen for saying so ~ writing this sure helped me sort through my thoughts and solidify these truths in my own heart...
????

10/11/2006 11:43 PM  
Blogger Frank Martens said...

It's interesting that He notes the pattern. I definitely agree with him. However there are cases where the parents are completely ungodly (like as far as action) and that makes things completely difficult. I'm curious to know, does Doug give any scripture references of it being an actual command on that's how it should work?

Now, I need to be careful because I don't want to dismiss the fact that a single woman should submit to her parents until the time is right. Because scripture does say, "honor your father and mother". However, isn't the pattern that Doug notes because of the cultural context?

I guess I would want to becareful in noting what's actually commanded of us and what's just mere things of the culture that were noted. I'm not saying it's bad to honor your parents in such a way or to submit in such a way.

Hopefully you see what I'm getting at and it doesn't look like I'm trying to dismiss what you are saying. I definitely think you are saying something of real value here. Maybe it'd be better to talk about this in person :).

10/12/2006 9:56 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Frank, I think I know what you are talking about...
Are you refering to non-Christian parents, or Christian parents who are not manifestly living out their faith? That would make a big difference...

And I suppose we could chit chat about this one too... ;) You do live up here now.

10/12/2006 11:37 AM  
Blogger Jen2 said...

Ahhh, my dear Hibby ~
Your heart is such a blessing to me. Thank you for this thoughtful post, and for sharing your heart so openly.
As usual, God seems to have us thinking along the same lines!!!

Most Ardently,
Jen2

10/16/2006 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home