August 08, 2006

Before the throne absolved we stand

I was encouraged to write about the sermon from Sunday morning, and I think it’s a fabulous idea. I just wish I knew where to start... I will say one thing – Jennifer was all over in that sermon Pastor John preached Sunday. He all but shouted out my name, substituting it for the Pharisee.

Two truths that I must include:
When Pastor John spoke about when Christ is used to sell worldly or secular inspirational business agendas/books, he said it makes him “want to throw up!”

And when speaking on the four little words: “rather than the other,” Pastor John stated vehemently and passionately that he hopes, when people read it, it “scares the Hell out of them!”

Whenever I hear things like these, my breath catches in my throat and something inside me just bubbles up and I want to laugh from the sheer joy of hearing TRUTH! I love it.

Anyway, here are a few of my (stilted) thoughts on the sermon, taken from the below captioned text.

Luke 18:
9 He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: 10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”


The crux of the sermon was that the Pharisee, who really had it all together – yet trusted in his own righteousness, even though giving thanks to God for it (accrediting God for his righteousness –- was not Pelagian), was not justified, while the tax collector who felt his shame and unworthiness and looked away from himself, went down to his house justified.

When I was younger, I grew up thinking Pharisee = Bad Guy. But they probably wouldn’t have worn the black cowboy hat; they were really, really on top of the ball. They were moral, and, though legalistically, upright. And yes, their heart was far from God, but man, they sure put on a nice show!

I didn’t realize just how “good” they were – particularly this guy spoken of here in Luke. He was faithful to his wife and just in his rulings and didn’t take advantage of anybody. And here, he even gives God the glory of these qualities. Doesn’t take personal credit for somehow producing them himself, he gives God honor for the work done in his life. (I think that’s what surprised me the most.) BUT this imparted righteousness is what he places on the table in the judgment courtroom as the basis of his salvation – it’s what he’s trusting in.

The tax collector, knowing his sinfulness and unworthiness, shamefully beat on his breast and looked to God (and in reading the Gospels backwards as instructed by Pastor John, looking to Christ), his only hope of salvation, for mercy. And he’s the one that went down to his house justified.

Rather than the other.

The Pharisee was not justified. Pastor John said that Luke could have remained silent on the resulting condition of ‘the other.’ He didn’t have to tell us what happened to the Pharisee, but he did. He made it clear he was not justified. Those who look to themselves and find pride and reason for their justification in their lives, thoughts, or actions are not justified.

All this was hitting close to home. As I was talking with a friend afterwards, we agreed on how recalcitrant we can be in wanting to look to ourselves, to our knowledge of the Bible, or even when we start looking to Christ, we take a peek back at ourselves looking away and are delighted to see how humble and focused-on-Christ we are – and surely that’ll be good for justification! Ugh. No, no, no.

On another facet of relevance, I hadn’t even realized the full application until a comment was made by my friend… As a Calvinist, I can start looking down on Arminians and think that I am so glad I’m not like them! Hm. …

In summation, it was an unbelievable sermon (disclaimer: that I – in no way – gave it justice in my rendition), and I will be thinking on this for some time to come. Excuse me; I need to go and weep – adoring Christ’s beauty, horrified at my grotesqueness. How amazing and sweet that we have a strong and perfect plea before the throne of God!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the thoughts Jennifer. It was truly a great sermon and I think I will be following it up on my part by beginning to post some blogs on the doctrine of Justification and the controversy surrounding it.

8/08/2006 1:59 PM  
Blogger Aspiring Girl said...

"As a Calvinist, I can start looking down on Arminians and think that I am so glad I’m not like them!"

you are not the only one who has struggled with this.

blessings sister!

8/08/2006 6:03 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Thanks Joey for the encouraging words!

8/08/2006 10:07 PM  
Blogger Frank Martens said...

This is why we need to rely on the Grace of God. Even if we do act like a pharasee at times.

For me however, the problem is not the things I don't do that bothers me (well... I guess it depends, but what I mean is in a legalistic fashion). But the things that I do (aka sin).

And I agree with my sister. One of the hardest things is not looking down on those who are weaker in the faith. Either way I don't have much of a choice here, if I want to have fellowship with any believers, they'll be Arminians. Those who are Calvinists are few and far between (slim pick'ns yo).

8/09/2006 9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home