December 27, 2006

Welcome Back, Blogger

For not having posted in nigh a month, this may be poor resurrection to my blogging habit and a disappointment to anyone who might still read my blog. I just wanted to make the public announcement that today is Wednesday, and yesterday was definitely Monday. Having the unfortunate fate of not living in Canada (where they celebrate that wonderful holiday, Boxing Day), I had to return to work the day after Christmas.

Yesterday began as normally as expected in that I awoke and drove to work. The day didn't waste any time, however, in presenting the possibility of it being "one of those days." It only took me stepping onto the elevator for the opportunity to present itself. The elevator was relatively crowded and I boarded and stepped to the side. The side with the buttons. As I turned around (so I wouldn't be facing the wall on the way up), my purse struck the emergency call button. Suddenly the entire elevator was filled with dialing and beeping. I lunged for the button as if to withdraw my misstep but was crestfallen to discover that one isn't able to "uncall" an emergency call. Laughter and snickers joined the sounds of chaos in the little elevator as I stammered incoherently and frantically looked around for some way to make it stop. A man in the back put my search to rest as he assured me that as soon as the call was answered, we would simply tell them we were fine. So we rode up the six stories all the while the "call was being placed."

When the car arrived at sixth floor (where I get off), the emergency call had still not been answered (glad to know there's a rapid response, eh?). As I exited, I turned to the rest remaining in the car, and in a comically exaggerated voice, I pleasantly chirped, "Bye! [I'm leaving; have fun dealing with this yourselves]"

That, among other dull and tedious occurrences of calamity, permeated the beginning of my work week (granted, my day was much improved for some time in the afternoon).

Still, I awoke to a song this morning, singing:
Every breath I take I want my life to bring You praise
I am so amazed by Your never-ending grace
Nothing in this world could separate me from Your love
You're the Wonderful One

Praying that's true of my actions and attitude today, I am so thankful for this morning. Imagine! New mercies! I pray that every breath is to God's glory today and that with each breath, I am reminded of the sweet graces that I have received while so entirely contemptible.

Praise to the Wonderful One.

8 Comments:

Blogger Lee Shelton said...

Welcome back!

12/27/2006 12:00 PM  
Blogger Craver Vii said...

Hey Kiddo, that's hardly the worst sound you can make in an elevator. Heh-heh.

12/27/2006 5:08 PM  
Blogger The Armchair Theologian said...

Was that ME?

12/28/2006 12:10 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Lee ~ good to be back!
Craver ~ heh, we won't go there....
TAT ~ yes, 'twas you.

12/28/2006 12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(blog cop making a chalk mark)

Ma'am, we're checkin' for inactivity. Seems some folks loiter in the blogosphere. They say they'll post more frequently, and then fall asleep at the, um, keyboard.

Anyhoo, (tapping pen on pad of citations) we won't have a problem here "Missy," if the next patrolman checks the chalk line and sees activity.

(tipping cap) Have a nice day, Ma'am.

12/31/2006 3:49 PM  
Blogger Frank Martens said...

Ok... uhh ignoring the last goobers comment.

That (your post) was hilarious... it's a good thing I wasn't in my cubicle.

12/31/2006 9:04 PM  
Blogger Craver Vii said...

No way, Frank. That Deputy Fife thing was TOtally funny and cool.

Yessir... I know funny and that, my man, was funny. And I--(oops) HE is not a goober. Now, go to your room and think about what I said! (tapping foot)

Hey people, sorry that you had to see that. But if you don't lay down the law hard, these boys will just walk all over you.

1/01/2007 6:21 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Haha! That's great. The story made me giggle! . . . er, not "giggle". Dude's don't "giggle"! I meant "laugh", yeah, that's it. . .

1/07/2007 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home