August 03, 2006

Dedicated to Micah

Upon his suggestion that I put this on my new blog, I have now made the transplant complete. This was my first ever blog post...taken from my small group blog, OneAnother.

One of the dorkier moments in my life...

Ok, a blog can't only be all about announcement postings...so I'm now going to blog a "bloggable moment."
_______________________________________
The setting
My office in Bloomington, 6th floor, Contract Writing department
The characters*
Yen (uh huh, I can be a bit of a character at times), and
Eleanor - a woman at my office who I would say is maybe early 40s, walks around the office with her head tilted back like she's trying to look at people from under the bottom rim of her glasses, and talks kind of quietly (not quite a Low-Talker but nearly)
*names have been changed to protect the innocent
The Story Begins
Whenever Eleanor passes me in the hallways, without fail she greets me by saying Hi Jennifer in a very low, raspy, breathy voice. If I see her approaching me and I know we will be passing each other, I usually rehearse what she will say in my head. I'm not entirely sure why I do that. Maybe it's because her greeting is so unique; maybe it's because it's rather fun talking like that; maybe it's simply habit. And in the attempt to be Minnesota-nice without being over-bearing, I match her style in greeting. So in a rather low, raspy, breathy voice I respond Hi Eleanor whenever we pass each other.
Well, today that all changed. I was leaving for lunch and on my way out I saw Eleanor walking towards me. And as we passed each other, in a low, raspy, breathy voice, I said Hi Jennifer.
Suddenly, I felt dizzy; colors became more vivid; I felt light-headed and out of breath...as I realized: I had just greeted myself.
_______________________________________
Needless to say, that proved to be rather awkward. Next time I pass Eleanor, I think I'll just smile and nod.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, how has this event affected your relationship with Eleanor since it happened?

I wonder if Eleanor has a blog of her own where she talks about the crazy girl at work who greets herself as she walks by.

8/03/2006 6:52 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Crazy Girl

Setting: my office
Characters: me and a minion
Story: So, there is this girl who, well, she may have a "condition." I don't know exactly what to think; I must say I'm rather disturbed...though she hasn't showed any signs of dymensia lately.
But it all started one day when, while passing each other, she said Hi Sydney, greeting herself!*names have been changed to protect the innocent
At first I didn't know if I had heard correctly, but I have since concluded that she possibly is one of those "crazies." Does she realize when she does this? or is it involuntary?
I'll be keeping my blog audience updated on any new developments to this peculiar account...stay tuned.

8/04/2006 3:10 AM  
Blogger Frank Martens said...

Haha... "a minion"

This post has to be my fav's out of all the ones @ oneanother.

8/04/2006 11:10 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Ha! Glad ya like it - who would have thought personal humiliation could be so funny??

By the way, I was way off! I mean Eleanor really should try spell check before posting...!
*dementia, believe it or not

8/04/2006 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home