July 25, 2006

Directionally-challenged

The other day, I was planning on meeting up with my hockey team to play a little Ultimate Frisbee at Long Lake Park in the New Brighton area. I had been there once before - and thus I thought I could find it again. I got off on Silver Lake Road and immediately knew something was amiss...I didn't really recognize the surrounding area. I knew it was the wrong exit, but I didn't turn around. I kept driving. For some reason, I kept thinking that road might just get me to where I was hoping to end up; it might eventually lead me to the right place. Well, it didn't. It wasn't the right road. I had to turn around, get back on 394, return to 35W, and find the right exit (94). (Yeah, I was way off.)

But it made me think of people these days who try to get to heaven, or to God, by any way but Jesus. They want to pick their own way, sure that eventually it will lead them to where they hope to end up.

To those who insist on pursuing their end via "Silver Lake Road" (or a weak, false god; or self-righteousness; or Buddism/Hinduism/etc; or an experiential, free-spirited, free-flowing, fluffy, tolerant of evil, pop-culture-created, but not defined religion): John 14:6. Does it get any more self-explanitory than that? "Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'"

Unless you know Jesus as your Savior and trust in Him alone, you'll be way off...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home