July 31, 2006

An Arminian summer wedding...?

There was a wedding I attended this weekend. Two friends of mine were getting married. Two of the sweetest, Christian people I know - they compliment each other so well. He is kind and mild-tempered and she is caring and even-keeled. The best part is they both love the Lord completely. And it was a lovely ceremony (as far as summer weddings go). Green was the theme color and the flowers were simple and bright Gerbera daisies.

While the ceremony was Biblical, it was surprisingly rather man-centered. The pastor officiating spent the majority of the time focusing his talk around the couple. So they, the couple, were the center of the marriage they were about to enter into, they were the producing effects of lighting fires in the hearts of others.

I just sat there, on edge, waiting, praying that it would come, where God would be given the full glory of this union - that He would be commended to the couple to run to first and only - that it would be acknowledged that there is no comfort in anything apart from enjoying Him - and that maybe the tone would be set for their new life together to spread a passion for the supremacy of God in all things for the joy of the people they will come into contact through the course of their covenant marriage. But it never came.

It made me think that, if God has
predestined me for marriage, I want my wedding ceremony to be simply dripping with the doctrines of grace. I want the Gospel boldly proclaimed in my wedding that God would be exalted and magnified by the ceremony...and likewise glorified in the marriage.

4 Comments:

Blogger Frank Martens said...

Somewhere Piper says that not recognizing and exalting God in situations like this belittles him.

I think it's at the beginning of his Romans series or it was in the book I just finished, either way, I'm having a hard time finding it or I'd post the exact quote.

8/02/2006 5:28 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Well, yeah, man...! (Find it, find it!) - well, actually I'm about to launch into listening to the Romans series starting from the beginning - Woo! (I'm totally stoked.)

So do you actually read this thing?? This blog thing of mine? That's pretty fun... :)

8/03/2006 12:25 AM  
Blogger Frank Martens said...

Yes! I think I found it... It's a simple statement but it was in the Romans series... I'm still listening to him teach on Romans 1.

"He deals first with the fundamental problem: What do we make of the glory of God? Do we magnify it by treasuring above all things? Or do we belittle it by preferring other things and exchanging it for created things?" -Piper, "The First Dark Exchange: Idolatry"

Do you mean Fun? or Funny?

And yea I'm reading it, it's definitely entertaining and thoughtful :) Keep up the good work.

8/03/2006 1:17 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Definitely fun knowing I have company on here. It's yet to be seen if it's deserving of any company...but fun nonetheless. :)

Thanks for the quote too, by the way.

8/04/2006 3:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home