July 18, 2006

Arrrrrrg!

After having lunch at Chipotle, I walked over to Northwestern bookstore to see what I could spend my remaining store credit on. I think I found something. It's sure to be deep, theologically speaking, and it's sure to contain, as Pastor John puts it, "mind-boggling, category-shattering truths."

Or not.

Nestled among much lesser titles and one shelf down and a little to the left from the literary magnum opus, The Purpose Driven Life, sat the book Swashbuckling Faith: Exploring for Treasure with Pirates of the Caribbean. It joins the ranks of "Finding God" in: Narnia, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings. I didn't know Hollywood was so adamant about portraying the Gospel in their new releases! That's reassuring to know...that "even a pirate movie, looked at through new lenses, can point the way to tangible riches of Biblical truth." (Wesemann, 2006)

Edit: Wow, just saw this post on Adam's (A Calvinist's) blog......EXACTLY!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I chalk the ability to discern the gospel in stories is because most stories deal in some fashion with the theme of redemption.

If not, at least it's conflict and resolution.

I learn much from many stories. It's a good medium to teach for those who listen.

10/19/2006 5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home